Stuff I Think Is Cool.

Maybe you'll think it's cool, too...

Friday, June 03, 2005

The Perfect Spot

Greetings!

Alrighty - to all of those nay sayers out there who thought I'd never actually do it - READ MY BLOG! :)P Come on - all the cool kids are doin' it...

Basically, I'd like to use this space to tell you about my crazy adventures and good times along the way. I've got amazing friends and we've seen some amazing places together - I'd like to spend some time sharing a bit of those good times. This is a work in progress and I'll be changing stuff around and updating - please check back often!

So, on that note...

This last weekend, I camped out in the 'perfect' spot with my partner in perfect camping crime, Pauly D. We had a PERFECT time! The weather was amazing - not a cloud in the sky the entire time we were there. Wow. Unbelievable...

We hiked/climbed/bushwhacked our way up to around 5600 ft. onto a ridge just above Gold Bar Pass in the Mt. Baker National Forest. Our original plan was to camp out at Tomyhoi Lake, but the trail was inaccessible due to snow, etc. We were a bit bummed after hiking all day and realizing this fact, but never fear - Pauly D was there! Stupidly, I hadn't slept the night before we left, so I totally admit to being wussed out by the time we made it to Gold Bar Pass. As Paul was a bit smarter than I and had actually SLEPT the night before and is probably generally in better shape, he took the initiative and climbed further up the ridge to see if he could find somewhere for us to camp. A little while later he returned, claiming to have found the 'perfect' spot.

Now, not that I didn't trust Pauly D, but I will again totally admit to being wussed out at that point. I wasn't terribly fond of the idea of any further bushwhacking, (with a 50lb pack on my back...) but I also wasn't terribly into the idea of camping where we had initially arrived on the ridge. SO - further up the ridge we went.

At this point in the season there's still a lot of snow, but the Spring melt is in full swing, so the ground, etc. is very slippery and dodgy in places. Suffice it to say, I stepped in many holes on the way up the trail. (Note: Gaiters are a GOOD thing...) Basically, what I'm saying is there was a bit of blood involved on the last part of the trail. Bushwhacking through snow and brush with no gaiters or sleep is pretty much a recipe for disaster. Well, some groovy cuts and scratches, at least... ANYway - it wasn't my most glorious show of hiking prowess.

Regardless, we eventually made it up the ridge and much to my surprise, it opened up into the most beautiful and perfect, snowfield-covered area. I was expecting to end up in a smaller spot on the side of the ridge, but was amazed at how everything totally opened up. We ended up smack in the middle of pristine snowfields, but Paul was able to find the perfect piece of snow-free, FLAT ground for us to set up camp. It was perfect! (Have I mentioned the area was perfect?) It was flanked on one side by trees and on the other by a lovely swatch of brush. We set up our tent next to a little family of trees and were good to go!

In addition to the natural perfection of our spot, Paul brought along a few other items to add to the scene.... He brought his well-stocked iPod, complete with mini-speakers purchased on the way as well as a hammock! I really can't describe just how awesome it was to hang out in a hammock that's been suspended VERY close to the edge of a death-inducing drop off. Wow.

Alrighty - More to come! Have to get back to work... :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Gibson said...

Dayna rules!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Paul Gibson said...

Hey, you posted at 11:11 Perfect!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home